Hey love bugs!
Yesssss! Its time for seafood again. It is indeed my second love as most of you know. I rarely go a week without it. And with good reason. It has been a staple in my diet my entire life. Growing up in the Caribbean, how could I not love the stuff. I mean, we are surrounded by water on all sides and there are always tons of fresh fish and other seafood to go around. Plus, it is healthy for you.
I was rambling through the kitchen and came across the shredded coconut I had bought last week to make some yummy cookies. I always tend to find an inspiring ingredient when I’m not actively looking for it. However cookies were definitely not on my mind today. I was feeling snacky (I know it’s not actually a word), but not for something cutesy sweet. Rather something crunchy, flavorful. savory and sweet: Coconut Shrimp. Coconut Shrimps are heavenly clouds in your taste buds. The golden sweet coconut encrusted shrimp is so tender that it melts in your mouth.
You can prepare this recipe two ways: 1. Pan frying or 2. Baking. I myself prefer baking simply because I have never been much of a fried food kind of girl. I’m funny like that. Every so often though, I break my own rule when it’s really worth it. When you really want that crunch and additional infusion of coconut flavor, pan frying with coconut oil is the way to go.
This recipe is unbelievably easy and will sure be a guest favorite this summer. Whether served as an appetizer or part of a dinner meal, these shrimps will leave you wanting more.
- 1 pound raw jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined (with tails)
- ½ cup Wheat flour*
- ½ Panko bread crumbs
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut flakes
- 1 large egg, beaten
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 5 tablespoons Coconut oil*
- 1 cup Orange Preserves*
- ¼ cup Crushed Pineapples
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Form an assembly line with 3 medium size bowls and a platter. In the first bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. In a second bowl beat egg. In the third bowl, combine bread crumbs and shredded coconut flakes.
- Start by dipping the shrimp in flour to coat. Shake of excess. Then do the same in the egg bowl, finishing off in the coconut mix pressing to ensure completely coated. Set shrimp on the platter and continue the process with the remaining shrimp until all are coated.
- In a large sauce/skillet pan, add oil and bring to a medium heat. Fry about 6 shrimps at a time for 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan and pat dry with a paper towel. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine all sauce ingredients together and mix. Dilute with water as needed.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley
- Serve Coconut Shrimp with Orange Dipping Sauce
4 thoughts on “Crunchy Coconut Shrimp”
New to your site. Recipes and photos are amazing!-Laurel
LikeLiked by 1 person
Welcome to the world of blogging! Thank you very much for the gracious comment. I will be sure to watch out for your blog.
I love coconut shrimp and due to COVID-19 I haven’t had the opportunity to indulge due to restrictions. I’ve had this recipe saved for a while and figured now would be the perfect time to try it out. OMG they were AMAZING. This recipe was added to my favs and I can’t wait to try it again!!
Thanks Vonya. I’m so happy that you enjoyed this recipe. Yes stating indoors gives us so many opportunities to indulge.